When will there be an "Official Release" of ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cutekids100

When will there be an "Official Release" of ReactOS?

Post by cutekids100 »

This operating system is an awesome idea! A free clone of Windows XP that actually has an NT-like kernel and can run all WIndows programs. I like it a lot, but right now, it is still in Alpha. When will an "official release" come out?
theuserbl

Re: When will there be an "Official Release" of ReactOS?

Post by theuserbl »

cutekids100 wrote:A free clone of Windows XP that actually has an NT-like kernel and can run all WIndows programs.
Not all Windows programs, but all Windows XP programs. And it is currently only the plan.
And as I know, ReactOS is not a Windows XP clone, its a Windows Server 2003 clone.

What would be nice - and I don't know if it is already possible - to replace the Windows 2003 kernel with the ReactOS kernel. So that the ReactOS kernel is used, but all over it is the original Windows. Anybody experices in it, if that is possible?
cutekids100 wrote:I like it a lot, but right now, it is still in Alpha. When will an "official release" come out?
After the Alpha, comes the Beta. And after the Beta comes Release Candidates. And after the Release Candidates comes the Release.
Every step needs a lot of time.

Greetings
theuserbl
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

to replace the Windows 2003 kernel with the ReactOS kernel. So that the ReactOS kernel is used, but all over it is the original Windows. Anybody experices in it, if that is possible?
I understand that is slightly against the rules...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
to replace the Windows 2003 kernel with the ReactOS kernel. So that the ReactOS kernel is used, but all over it is the original Windows. Anybody experices in it, if that is possible?
I understand that is slightly against the rules...
Even if it wasn't against the rules, it could cause compatibility issues. If we want the best compatibility accuracy, then we need to have ReactOS not only look and feel like Windows, but to also act like Windows in every way, shape, and form.

Perhaps your idea is more of what ZorinOS is trying to accomplish, where they offer the look of Windows and is able to run lots of Windows software and games, but it uses the Linux kernel.
Konata

Post by Konata »

Mixing and matching components of Microsoft Windows isn't against the rules as long as you're talking about a product that has been officially licensed to you and you're not suggesting or sharing any methods of receiving any software under illegal circumstances. Even the ReactOS developers do that in order to test some libraries and components of ReactOS. If something should run under Server 2003 then it should run under ReactOS too, and as long as you have the product registered to you, it should be fine.

That said, I don't know what would be "nice" about replacing Server 2003's kernel with ReactOS' kernel. ReactOS' kernel is incomplete and still buggy. No part of ReactOS is ready for production yet, not the kernel, not the usermode libraries, not the subsystems, nothing. ReactOS is closer to completion than ever before, but it's still not there yet, and of course replacing any part of Windows with any part of ReactOS would only degrade it at this point, as unfortunate as that is.
Theoretically, you might be able to just, replace ntoskrnl.exe in Server 2003 with the one from ReactOS? Although I don't know how that would work with how the memory is laid out, it might not work at all. If that doesn't work, then I don't think it's possible.

To answer the original post, there isn't even a theoretical release date for ReactOS, it's development isn't under any schedule and all work on it is done through volunteer work. So it's impossible to estimate a release date, or even when a given bug will be fixed or a component or feature will be implemented. If you'd like to help, you can do several things, including monetary donation, advertising the project, bug testing while providing debug logs and detailed crash reports, or providing developer support if you're familiar with C, C++ and WinAPI.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

At this point, it might be of use for individuals to try dropping the 2003 kernel into ROS and see what breaks. Then after that is fixed and our kernel is made to be compatible with the changes, then it might be useful to try it in Windows and see what breaks. Then fix the kernel and make it compatible with the rest. Similar with other components. Keep switching back and forth and fixing each time that reveals something.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

PurpleGurl wrote:At this point, it might be of use for individuals to try dropping the 2003 kernel into ROS and see what breaks. Then after that is fixed and our kernel is made to be compatible with the changes, then it might be useful to try it in Windows and see what breaks. Then fix the kernel and make it compatible with the rest. Similar with other components. Keep switching back and forth and fixing each time that reveals something.
I am not a programmer but that is something which makes sense to me too.
Brilliant idea.
I think anyone can try it.
If there is a problem then jira is always there.
Just file a bug report on jira.
Open Your Windows To Freedom