How can I get QEMU networking to work in windows?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaix
Moderator Team

How can I get QEMU networking to work in windows?

Post by Jaix »

Hello, I have been trying to get ReactOS network in QEMU to work in windows, but so far I have had no success, what is wrong, and how is it supposed to work?
I suppose I can't use the Linux-HOWTO for windows, because there is no tun-device in windows, but the usermode net should work right?

Someone please help us getting a good HOWTO for this. I think we need to speed-up testing a bit so we need easy HOWTO:s to get many to setting up a network.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Hard isn't it!

Post by Jaix »

Wow, I didn't realize that it was that difficult to get networking working in QEmu for Windows, I have now tried to do it in many different ways, but it seams to be pretty hard, I tried the -iso -pci -tap and -user way of getting it done, but I can't get it to work. Isn't there anyone who succeded? Please give me some light concerning this and I think many will be happy.
Jaix
Moderator Team

ROS Network in QEmu for Windows

Post by Jaix »

Since so many people has read this subject but no one has answered i guess no one has ben abele to run ROS Network in QEmu for Windows, is this correct?

I have been trying getting a shot with a PnP OS like Win98, and it is working without problem, but when I try with reactos it isn't working.

I give the same network parameters as my dhcp client in win98 gives me, there is only one difference, the network card recognized by win98, win2k, and winxp is the Realtec network card and I don't find support for this in the registry in ROS, but i thought it was NE2000 compatible so I gave this card the right parameters, but no success.

Then I looked in the ROS Control.exe and it says AMD PCNet card, and then I tried this, but no success, could someone tell me what to do?

By the way, I thought that if I give the switch -isa I would get the NE2000 card in the PnP for win98, but QEmu didn't even start with this switch set.

Many people would be able to give good feedback if they could run network in QEmu for windows I'm sure.
TOTMS

Re: ROS Network in QEmu for Windows

Post by TOTMS »

Jaix wrote:Since so many people has read this subject but no one has answered i guess no one has ben abele to run ROS Network in QEmu for Windows, is this correct?

I have been trying getting a shot with a PnP OS like Win98, and it is working without problem, but when I try with reactos it isn't working.

I give the same network parameters as my dhcp client in win98 gives me, there is only one difference, the network card recognized by win98, win2k, and winxp is the Realtec network card and I don't find support for this in the registry in ROS, but i thought it was NE2000 compatible so I gave this card the right parameters, but no success.

Then I looked in the ROS Control.exe and it says AMD PCNet card, and then I tried this, but no success, could someone tell me what to do?

By the way, I thought that if I give the switch -isa I would get the NE2000 card in the PnP for win98, but QEmu didn't even start with this switch set.

Many people would be able to give good feedback if they could run network in QEmu for windows I'm sure.
Not sure if this helps, but I can ping other computers on my network without any special switches. It cant resolve domain names however yet.

Hope that helps a little :?
potapnik

Yes, it doesn't work

Post by potapnik »

Hi Jaix!

I was trying that too, but the result is that I downloaded VMWare player :-) and problems are gone :-)

But situation can change starting with QEmu 0.8, cause there are some enhancements in net stuff, but I didin't look at it deeper.
rrobin

Re: Yes, it doesn't work

Post by rrobin »

potapnik wrote:Hi Jaix!

I was trying that too, but the result is that I downloaded VMWare player :-) and problems are gone :-)
Isn't the VMPlayer harddisk limited in size?
potapnik

Post by potapnik »

Don't know, but I used 2GB image and AFAIK it had no problems.
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

potapnik wrote:Hi Jaix!

But situation can change starting with QEmu 0.8, cause there are some enhancements in net stuff, but I didin't look at it deeper.
I have been playing around with VMware and its is really good compared to QEMU. The networking is setup by default to have a bridge between the virtual network and the existing network allowing for seemless network access within the guest os.

Pity you have to pay for it tho :?
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

TOTMS wrote:Pity you have to pay for it tho :?
You don't have to pay for VMware Player. I don't think Qemu is usable without kqemu anyway...